Saturday, July 26, 2008

Peach Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Before my dearest's birthday, i've been thinking of what type of cake to bake for him. Although i did ask him, he told me not to bake. Think he's abit against my baking hobby as i mentioned in my other posts, i always did my baking in the night, and he would in his usual tone 'nag' me to sleep early or rest more. Chocolate is his favourite, but since we are celebrating at my grandpa's place, and he doesn't eat chocolate (cos "its bitter"), so i've to do something that is not chocolate. So anything chocolate is out. Thought of more elaborate cakes, but think they are beyond my limited skills...hahaha. So i finally settled on a simple sponge cake with fruits or something like that, and also because i have a can of peaches in my cupboard.



Anyway, I've been trying to find THE sponge cake for me, and those I did so far was ok but not THE one. It's not that the recipe is no good, cos alot of other bloggers tried and it turned out very well for them but not for my case. Those recipes call for skills, which i'm lacking, unfortunately.

This is another sponge cake recipe which i've got from here. Alot of people have tried and rated 4 out of 5 stars. Since the original recipe uses 10' cake tin, and i only have a 8' cake tin, the height turns out just nice for a 3-layered cake, maybe even a 4-layered cake.

I like the way the sunlight shine upon the peaches and the
shadow casted by it

I've made the sponge cake with some modifications from the original recipe.

Ingredients:

250g plain flour
200g castor sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk (or 1/3 cup)
2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup butter to be added when boiling milk (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
2. sift together the flour and baking powder.
3. Heat milk till just boil and remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Beat eggs till foamy, then add sugar. Continue beating on medium-high speed until thick and lemon-coloured. Add vanilla essence, reduce mixer speed to medium and add hot milk in a steady stream. Quickly fold in flour mixture.
5. Pour into 8 inch cake tin and bake for 40-45 mins.
6. Leave cake in tin for 5 mins. Remove and cool.

I wanted to do the usual frosting using 2 cups whipped cream, but my fridge only has slightly 1 over cup left. So i spread the cream thinly on the cake, put cubed peaches in between the layers and decorate with slices of peach on top.



Verdict: This sponge cake turns out heavy/ dense & rough, not soft and fluffy as i would like it to be. Looks like i have to continue seaching for THE sponge cake.

No comments: