Friday, February 12, 2010

Walnut snowballs

My production for CNY is running very low, it seem that energy has been sapped. Nevertheless, other than pineapple nastar tarts, i managed to bake some walnut snowballs. Actually, I have plans to bake so many cookies (at least 4 or 5 types), and tagged all my recipe books, but in end I only managed to bake 2. With CNY approaching in 3 days' time, I won't have any time to do any more baking.

So for now, here's Walnut snowballs to share with all my friends here. These little snowballs are very fragile, and it has the melt-in-your-mouth texture. I believe it will taste as good with other condiments like almonds or peanuts.

Fresh walnuts are easily available these days


Ingredients/ Method:
(Yields about 120 little snowballs)

(A)
227g butter
35g icing sugar
1 egg yolk

(B)
1 tbsp rum
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)

(C)
350g plain flour, sieved
1/2 tsp baking powder
60g walnuts, chopped coarsely

(D)
icing sugar for dusting

1) Cream ingredients (A) until combined. Add in ingredient (B), beat until blended.
2) Fold in ingredient (C), mix to form a soft dough. Scale at 6gm each portion and shape into rounds.
3) Arrange balls on lined baking tray.
4) Bake in pre-heated oven at 150 deg C for 25 to 30 mins.
5) Cool cookies slightly, dust top with icing sugar.
6) Store in airtight jars.



Customised Hello Kitty stickers are so cute!!

Now, these "limited edition" cookies are packed and ready to be given to my family & relatives. Hopefully I can bake more next year in order to give to each and everyone of them ;-)


祝: 年行好運, 身威.


8 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

I am very slow with baking my CNY cookies too! My younger boy helped me made another batch of peanut cookies last night (he's quite good at it) to speed things up a little bit :) Here's wishing you a Happy Lunar New Year!!

Passionate About Baking said...

Happy lunar new year to you and your family quizzine!
Doesn't matter that it's only 2 bakes for the family. It's the thots that counts! Furthermore, 2 quality bakes is better than 5 quantity bakes, ya? ;) Thanks for sharing this recipe, looks too good to give it a miss!
Btw, your new look is very refreshing. I really like it too! :)

Hooney said...

OMG they look so yummy! you should make them again in sept for me and kevin

quizzine said...

Hi happy homebaker,
Haha.. i got to wait a couple more years before i could have an extra pair of hands. Yesterday, he tried to help but i end up clearing his mess... ;-)

Hi Jane,
Of course, i agree with you on the quality vs quantity.
Gotta new look after seeing u and so many other bloggers changing theirs ;-)

Hi hooney,
It was actually the afternoon sun giving the cookie a very attractive color. But the cookie does taste good. It's my pleasure to bake for u & kevin when u r back, just name it!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Hi quizzine,
Your walnut snowballs does look like melt-in-your mouth good. :) Too bad I already "close shop", else will give this a try. :) You know my daughter loves Cheerios...she eats cheerios every morning for breakfast before she heads for school. And your new blog look just reminds me of my girl every time I come here. :)Nice! Happy Tiger Year to you and your family!

Kitchen Corner said...

This walnut snowballs really something special! Happy Lunar New Year to you!

Pei-Lin said...

Walnut snowballs!? Haven't heard of them! Thanks for sharing! All you festive goodies look well-done!!

恭祝您與家人新年快樂!!虎年行大運!!

quizzine said...

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
I love this new layout becos the little hand at the corner reminds me of my little boy! You can give this cookie a try either next CNY or anytime during the year ;-)

Hi Grace,
I was intrigued by the addition of rum in the recipe, and no regrets in baking this cookie.

Hi Pei-Lin,
Tks, and very happy lunar new year to you & your family ;-)