Monday, September 13, 2010

Special birthday cake



Somehow my uncle Simon's birthday slipped my mind, opps!! and therefore there was no cake :-p To make up for it, I prepared a very special birthday cake on his actual day. Since it is on a weekday, I need to find a very simple recipe which do not require baking. Initially was thinking of preparing this cocoa puff cream cake, but like most things, when you want to buy it, the store always run out of stock! This time I couldn't get any cocoa puff biscuits at bishan fairprice. I have to quickly think of other alternatives, or no cake at all.





At last, this is what I had prepared for my dear uncle simon, hopefully he likes it ;-) The colourful agar-agar looks like gemstones, ruby, sapphire, onyx, emerald, aquamarine, to me, plus another 6 big lovely hearts. However, when the cake was put in the fridge overnight, the shapes and colours were not as obvious, and the clear agar-agar became whitish in colour.



**Edited on 13/09/2010 11.03pm
My colleague, who is a 'master' in making agar-agar, suggested that the whitish colour could be due to the clear agar-agar being too hot when poured over the colourful "gems". Next time, will try cooling the clear-coloured agar-agar first before pouring.

6 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

This is indeed a special cake! It looks very colourful :) My younger child was telling me he doesn't need a cake for his birthday, he wanted a 'cake' which is heap full of potato chips ;)

Passionate About Baking said...

Ah, quick thinking for you. It's truly a very special birthday cake. I would have been delighted too! :)

quizzine said...

Hi Happy Homebaker,
I guess we have to stay very creative and innovative so that our family members do not feel that they are eating the same thing every time ;-) And little kids can sometimes give very 'out-of-world' ideas (>_<)

Hi Jane,
Somehow baking uses much of my brain juice, and it's proven that cooking (hopefully this includes baking) is one of the activities to ward off Alzheimer's disease. A baker's dream is always that the recipient enjoys the bake (",)

Bakericious said...

this is a beautiful and special cake!

quizzine said...

Hi Jess,
Tks for your compliment B-)

Aulia said...

Hi Quizzine,
next time try to make the shaped agar-agar a bit harder by reducing the water.
also when pouring the clear agar-agar, cool it down first, so the shaped ones are not 'melting'.