Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hazelnut cocoa bread

These days I've not been using the oven that often, partly due to my rather busy schedule, which gets me tired easily (or age catching up), my boy is seeking more attention from me and i tuck him to bed every night (and sometimes fell asleep before he does), I've got the BM which satisfy my baking-crave, or am i getting lazy? Actually, there's couple of recipes which i'm dying to try out, and ingredients have been bought, but things are not moving. I envy other bloggers who seem to be baking or cooking something almost every other day.

After the successful Crunchy Peanut Butter Loaf, I wanted to do the same recipe again, but thought of modifying the recipe to see how it will develop. I'm one person who's not systematic and do not like the 'same old thing', and my baking follows this trait. I've been toying the idea of replacing the peanut butter with nutella for the last couple of days, and did it yesterday. Unfortunately, the aroma and taste of nutella is not distinct, in fact not evident at all, in the loaf. Nevertheless, the bread is still soft, so soft that it made slicing them so difficult. It looks like those bread you see at coffee-shop, and may taste good toasted and spread with kaya and thick-sliced butter.

We had the bread this morning for our breakfast. And everyone of us have our 'preferred' spread. Little baby has strawberry jam, daddy has nutella, mummy has peanut butter.




The cheese slice is for little baby's growing needs and calcium intake, and shared with mummy.




Hazelnut Cocoa Bread

Ingredients/ Method
300ml water (i use 2/3 fresh milk, 1/3 water)
3 tbsp nutella
1 tbsp oil
450g bread flour
1 1/2tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp milk powder
1 1/4tsp instant yeast

1. Pour water into BM. Add in nutella, oil and half the flour.
2. Sprinkle salt, sugar and milk powder. Cover with remaining flour. Lastly make an indent on the flour and add in the yeast.
3. Set the BM at Basic mode, Light crust and 900g size.
4. I turn off the BM 7 mins before the pre-set time.

2 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi quizzine,
Despite having a new KA & BM, you're not baking as often as you would like to huh? I can understand though. Children at this age demands a lot of attention. I started real baking only when they were like 4 years old. So you're got another 2 more years of part-timing baking to go? Just kidding.
Aw yes, nutella, I suspect is not bakeable. Some foods are, some are not. I attended Joycelyn's class last weekend, she also tried many many times using nutella to bake cupcakes, until she finally got the right recipe. Unfortunately, I won't be sharing her recipe. Many nutella recipes online is basically just frost them with nutellas or adding something else. So I think, unless we have done our research and testing, I think we're better off with just eating nutella on its own! Heehee...;)

quizzine said...

Hi jane,
wow... 2 years seem so long. Actually, i wish little baby can grow up faster so that he can be my little helper in the kitchen! I didn't know nutella is so 'unique' and you're right that i didn't do any homework on this ingredient. Hehee, guess i will continue to experiment & encounter more failures!
Cheers,