Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Princess castle cake

A year ago, I made a Princess cake for my little cousin Winni's 9th birthday. One year wiser, she requested for a Princess castle cake for her 10-year old birthday. Although I did toy with the idea of doing a castle cake before her request, I was quite apprehensive as I could not figure out how to make the towers (P.S. I still could not figure out this part, anyone can help or suggest?). Thereafter, I had many question marks like the design, the assembly, whether using butter cream or fondant...etc, and these kept me thinking for many days. It also did not help that workload had not been kind for the last few weeks, and therefore I was totally drained when I reached home. Timing was ticking, and I finally sketched out the design of the cake plus whatever 'accessories' that I want to put on the cake. Only on the Wed nite that I finally got anxious and started to prepare the fondant, and did couple of figurines. Did some on Thurs nite. Did some on Fri nite. Did some on Sat nite. No more energy to bake the cake on Sat nite. The birthday party was on Sunday 6pm, and I probably spent almost the whole day to bake, decorate, and did the final touch-up of the cake. Phew! Finally, the end result .....

A Princess sitting on the garden with her lovely cat, and
surrounded by 3 towers at W I N N I castle.


She's pleased with her beautiful dress and pearl necklace,
bumble bees buzzing around her and the flowers, but oh
no, the castle towers are leaning towards each other. They
seems to collapse anytime ;p



Bright and sunny roses and petals flanked the castle gate,
to welcome all guests to W I N N I castle.



Diamond-shaped window with details and flower motifs. This
is a 2-storey tower.


This is the 3-storey tower that was constructed to lean like
"Leaning Tower of Pisa".

The main cake used is Steamed chocolate cake,
but the "tower" is oven-baked using the same
recipe and in muffin cups.


7 comments:

Bakericious said...

the cake is beautiful, the birthday cake must be very happy :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Wow! It's getting prettier and more complicated with more practice and baking. Looks complicated. Very nice indeed. I'm sure Winni loves it very much. Did she bear to cut it? :p

Kitchen Corner said...

I don't know when I can come out something like this. Very beautiful decorated!

youfei said...

Very pretty! I think I did sth similar sometime back. I used bubble tea straws to try to support the "cake towers" May you could try that next time round =D

quizzine said...

Hi Jess,
Indeed the birthday girl is very happy, but she's one that appreciates every little thoughts ;-)

Hi Jane,
Tks and I do hope to practice more to get it better! I was the one to cut the cake for her, but the Princess was left intact as her gift ^-^

Hi Grace,
Oh look at all your cake decor, they are anytime better than me! I'm sure this would not pose too much difficulty for you (*-*)

Hi Youfei,
What i did was to use satay sticks to hold the tower... would try out using "bubble tea" straws next time! Many tks for sharing; arigato :-))

Anonymous said...

This is too cute! ;)

quizzine said...

Hi sohdalex,
Thanks for dropping by!