Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mini egg tarts

This is my second attempt to make egg tarts within 2 weeks using different recipes. The reason why I did not post it earlier is because the first attempt was a failure and I had to feed the bin. It was a dim sum style/ puff pastry type of egg tart that I tried, and using a recipe from a local magazine. I think I fail big time, both the pastry as well as the egg custard. I wonder how reliable the magazine recipe can be or is it because of my lack of skill in handling the puff pastry? Anyway the next time I'm going to make the dim sum egg tart will be using recipe from the reliable blogs; I've book-marked a few that look so good that you would want to eat them from the screen.




Now that lil Zak goes for his montessori class on every Sunday morning at my neighbour place, I had the luxury of time to do some baking. Further, I can share my bakes with my neighbours and their kids after their class. This helps in a big way as earlier I had 'problem' of finishing my bakes...kekeke. Thankfully, these egg tarts using recipe that I got from Cook.Bake.Love were very well received, and the little kids came back asking for more! I'd doubled the recipe and it produced 45 mini tarts and with about 15 tart cases left over, which I kept in the fridge unbaked.


Easy & Delicious Egg Tarts
(makes about 45 mini egg tarts)

Pastry
300g plain flour
2 tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp sugar
50-60g egg (1 egg)
200g butter

Rub-in Method (cold butter) - I used this method
1. Cut cold butter into small cubes.
2. Combine flour, custard powder and milk powder and mix well.
3. With fingertip, rub in the cold butter, add sugar, mix well.
4. Add beaten egg, mix to form a soft dough (do not knead).
5. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate before use.

Easy Method (melted butter) - For reference only.
1. Melt butter.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well
3. Add melted butter and beaten egg.
4. Using a pair of chopsticks mix to form a soft dough.
5. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate before use.

Filling
280g water
120-140g sugar
200g beaten egg (3 large eggs or 4 medium eggs)
80g evaporated milk
Few drops pure vanilla extract (optional)

1. Heat up water and sugar till sugar dissolved. Let cool.
2. Add beaten egg, evaporated milk and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Sieve 3 times.

Assembly
1. Roll into ball and press the dough into tart moulds. (I did not measure the dough for each tart.)
2. Spoon in the fillings till 80% full. (I poured mine almost 100% full.)
3. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 20 mins.

20 comments:

Kitchen Corner said...

The egg tarts filing looks smooth and creamy! I like is texture, bookmarked! Thanks for sharing!

busygran said...

Just like what you mentioned, I feel like plucking your egg tarts out from the screen to stuff my mouth. They look good!

Edith said...

What a coincidence, I too baked egg tarts as my girl was requesting it. :)

quizzine said...

Hi Grace,
The filling is soft & silky like tofu...Nice!

Hi busygran,
Be my guest, take as many as you want...LOL

Hi Edith,
Great, will hop over to your blog!

Zoe said...

They look so perfect just like the professional made ones. You are brilliant making these beauties. Will bookmark this recipe.

quizzine said...

Hi Zoe,
Thanks for dropping by. I think this recipe is really worth a try!

worldangel said...

Hi!

The egg tarts look really good :D I will try this recipe out this coming Tuesday ;)

When you mix the flour mixture with the egg, do you use a mixer to do so or just use a spatula to mix? Thanks!

quizzine said...

Hi worldangel,
Thanks for dropping by! Actually I used my hands throughout the mixing/ rubbing in ;)) hope u like the recipe!

worldangel said...

Thanks for the clarification!

Can this egg tart be kept overnight? Do I need to keep it in the fridge? Will the crust turn soggy if kept overnight?

Sorry for so many questions - excited to try this out on Tuesday!

quizzine said...

Hi worldangel,
Sorry I've not tried eating overnight as they were finished on the day it was baked. I'd recommend it to be eaten freshly bake! If you are pressing for time, probably u can try half baking the crust the day before, and put in the filling and bake on day u want to eat!

worldangel said...

I made the egg tarts today!

I love the taste of the egg custard so no problem there :D

But the crust is giving me a bit of a problem - it seems to be very crumbly and breaks easily. While my hubby loves the 'crumbliness', I prefer a crust that will not crumble so easily. Any tip?

quizzine said...

Hi worldangel,
I'm not too sure, but I'm guessing you can either knead the dough for a longer time or have a slightly thicker crust so it will be less crumbly. Hopefully it'll turn out to be your liking!

heny said...

Hi! Wow,your egg tarts looks so yummy..I'm a big fan of this dessert,and this week I'm trying to make it..I'm so glad that I found your recipe..thank you for sharing the recipe. But I want to ask for the filling it's said 80g evaporated milk. Does it the same with 80ml? Thank you.. :)

quizzine said...

Hi Heny,
Yes, 80g is 80ml. Hope u like this recipe too :))

Anonymous said...

Hey whatt kind of milk powder to use?

quizzine said...

Hi anonymous,
I used any milk powder available at home eg kids formula milk or adult milk powder.

Eli fr KL said...

Hi dear... your egg tart recipe is superb...This is the first time I'm baking a tart! And it come out just nice and maybe i should reduce the sugar another 20g to 100 or 80g...

Need to be alert on the scale lol :D...Anyway thanks for sharing your recipe.

ShawnShawnShawn said...

excuse me, well, i have a real big time trouble here~ haha!
i have baked egg tart before, and the recipe is similar to yours.
but the problem i faced is that the egg tart is floating up in the baking process. and it kind of evaporated until the egg filling is very thin.
what could possibly go wrong? i really need assistance. please? ^^

ShawnShawnShawn said...

excuse me, well, i have a real big time trouble here~ haha!
i have baked egg tart before, and the recipe is similar to yours.
but the problem i faced is that the egg tart is floating up in the baking process. and it kind of evaporated until the egg filling is very thin.
what could possibly go wrong? i really need assistance. please? ^^

Anonymous said...

The crust is not authentic I'm afraid. I've tried a similar recipe and the crust is like a crumbly melt in the mouth biscuit texture, not puff like pastry.

As for the sweetness of the filing, agree with the other poster. The quantities are way too sweet, you need to reduce the amount of sugar in the filing.

Sorry to have to teach you how to make a proper dan tat!