Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fruits & Walnuts Wholemeal Bread


I'm still trying to use up the wholemeal flour that is going to expire end of this month. Actually baked this bread last week but has been very tired to write a blog or edit the pictures. Furthermore, my laptop is giving me alot of problems, and the slow speed is killing me! I think it's almost time to get a new laptop soon....



I followed the recipe from Kitchen Corner, and I must say the added dried fruits and walnuts really gives the oomph to the bread. We ate it plain without any spread and it's really nice and tasty. However, the shape of my bread looked kinda odd, like "golden pillow". It was supposed to be nice round shape with very rustic look, which i got the idea from Happy Homebaker who proof the dough in a colander. Perhaps my colander is too big for the dough, or i didnt do a proper job in shaping it. Anyway, the shape didn't matter as long as the taste of bread turns out good! My little boy likes the dried fruits more than the bread, and my poor dad got to eat the left-over hole-y (after all dried fruits removed) bread .... hahaha



Ingredients/ Method
250g bread flour
80g wholemeal flour
30g sugar
3/4 tsp salt
5g yeast
1 egg
150g ice water (i replace with milk)
15g milk
30g butter

Optional ingredients
Dried fruits
Sunflower seeds
Walnuts
Raisins

1. Put all ingredients except butter and optional ingredients into the BM and knead for 30 mins. Add butter at the 8-10th min.
2. Let the dough rest in the BM for 20 mins.
3. Knead dough and punch out gas.
4. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces and roll to form 3 ball shape.
5. Flatten dough and roll out into longish shape. Roll up the dough like a swiss roll.
6. Flatten rolled up dough and roll out again into long rectangular shape. Add in dried fruits and walnuts on top and then roll up the dough tightly.
7. Place rolled dough in floured colander, and put it in oven with door close and proof for 60 mins.
8. Take out dough and bake dough in pre-heated oven at 190 deg C.
9. Bake approximately 40 mins or until golden brown.
10. Cool before slicing.

4 comments:

tracieMoo said...

I love having nuts and fruits in my bread. The bread looks nice and fluffy for a wholemeal :)

quizzine said...

Tks for dropping by! This bread is really worth a try, it's definitely not coarse like the usual wholemeal bread ;-) Just remember to use milk instead of water, which i think contribute to the softness.
Cheers,

feature extraction said...

delicious bread. I too love it.
thanks
topographic mapping services

In a CakeBox said...

Hi feature extraction,
think it has became one of our fav bread too! Cheers,