Saturday, January 22, 2011

Special Melting Moments

Today is a activities-filled day! At the repeated request of my boy, he wanted to take the train from our place to Changi Airport... nothing special if you are not staying in the farthest north of Singapore. I didn't really timed the journey, but I think it took at least 1.5 hours including the feeder service from my house to the MRT station. The return trip was another train and super long bus trip back from Changi Airport back home. Really a B.M.W. (bus.mrt.walk) day! Although it was pretty tiring, I really cherish and love these moments. Our conversation whilst in the sky train:-

Me: Are you happy today?
Zakris: I am happy!
Zakris: Mummy, are you happy?
Me: I'm happy because you are happy :-))
Zakris: Why?
Me: B'cos I love you <3<3<3>

I thought I would be too tired to do any baking today, but my energy level went up when I reached home. So here's another recipe which I'm trying from Agnes Chang's I Can Bake.... Special Melting Moments. Another easy and no-fuss (i.e. no mixer required) recipe which yield yummy & very delicate morsels. And these are made especially special because my darling helps with the mixing and piping :-))



Special Melting Moments
Recipe adapted from Agnes Chang's I Can Bake

Ingredients/ Method:
200g butter
80g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
120g self-raising flour, sifted
120g corn flour, sifted
1. Cream butter, icing sugar, vanilla essence and salt using spatula till just combined.
2. Add self-raising flour, corn flour and mix into soft dough.
3. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a big star nozzle. Pipe onto a greased baking tray to form into the shape of rosette.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 deg C for 15 - 20 mins till light golden brown.
5. Cool on rack, sprinkle some icing sugar on top if desired.
6. Store in air tight tin before serving.

Note:
1. I reduced the icing sugar to 60g, sweetness is just nice for me.
2. As usual, I used my favourite pure vanilla bean paste.
3. I baked the cookies at 15 mins.
4. I sprinkled snow powder on some of the cookies but I think they look and taste better without them.
5. The next time I baked, I may want to add a bit of red cherries to make these cookies look brighter and cheery.
(Updated 23.1.2011: My relatives tried these but they don't fancy this cookies. General comment is that it's very salty. To omit salt or use unsalted butter the next time if I'm trying this recipe again.)


Melting Moments dusted with snow powder.

I'm submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #3: My Favourite CNY Cookie, hosted by j3ss kitch3n.


12 comments:

j3ss kitch3n said...

i love the piping design! how i was i could handle a piping tip just like you! gorgeous simply gorgeous!

busygran said...

I like cookies that melt in the mouth. Will bear yours in mind!

Passionate About Baking said...

This is so beautiful done! The flowers really looked very pretty! Yummy!

CaThY said...

Very nice little cookies. Excellent pipping skills =)

quizzine said...

Hi j3ss,
I hardly 'play' with piping tip, and if I can do it, so can you!

Hi busygran,
The next time you try this out, remember to omit the salt or use unsalted butter. Let me know how it turn out for u ;-))

Hi Jane,
I like how the piped flowers turned out, which is quite different from what the recipe book shows ;p

Hi CaThY,
Tks for dropping by and leaving me a lovely comment!

Lisa said...

Those look so pretty. I just love cookies that melt in one's mouth. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

Bakericious said...

the cookies are so pretty and nice.

Olivia said...

wow beautiful cookies...gong xi fatt chai

Jerlynn said...

Hi

May i know roughly how many pcs. of cookies u made from 1 recipe?

quizzine said...

Hi Jess, Hi Olivia,
Thanks!

Hi Jerlynn,
I didn't count but roughly I can fill up about 1.5 small bottles...maybe about 65 pieces. Remember to omit salt ok?

Jerlynn said...

Hi quizzine,

I tried ovr the wkends, using 60gm of sugar, omitted the salt, but some ppl still commented sweet, but overall comment was gd, melt in mouth, tks for sharing =)

quizzine said...

Hi Jerlynn,
You're welcome and I'm glad you'd dropped by to provide your feedback!