Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Century egg porridge

I was down with a cold last friday and having no appetite for outside food, i decided to cook century egg porridge for myself. I don't know for others, but there are certain food that bring back many memories for me.



When all 4 siblings were staying together at my parents' place, we will have home-cooked food on most of the Sunday mornings! I supposed it's cheaper to cook than to have breakfast outside since there are so many of us. My mum or dad will cook a big pot/wok of either century egg porridge, san mee, kway teow with yong tau foo, mee hoon kueh (handmade noodles),etc. Before/during and after breakfast, sibling bickerings and fightings and bullying were a common scene then, and my mum would be shouting at us at her top of lungs! (Un)fortunately these are only fond memories! *sob sob* The last time i cooked this century egg porridge was 1.1.2008, it was for my family and relatives who were staying over at my place after our new year count-down.




To prepare this porridge, most importantly is to soak the rice in water added with some cooking oil and dash of salt, at least an hour before cooking or overnight. When the porridge is almost cooked, add in mashed 1/2 century egg and 1/2 salted egg, meat balls, pork liver. Salt, pepper and sesame oil to taste when the porridge is cooked.

4 comments:

Hooney said...

you were supposed to make that for me!

quizzine said...

I guess you got to wait a while before i can cook for u ;-)

Candy Sweet said...

what about me ???

quizzine said...

no slot for me to cook this porridge on sundays leh....