Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hazelnut Cream Chocolate Cake & Blueberry Cheese Square


In the recent family parties, i've been tasked to prepare cake as they all know that i love to bake. This give me every opportunity to try out recipes, and let my family members be my guinea pigs. Sometimes, i really feel 'sorry' for them, cos most of my bakes are of average & edible standands only. Hopefully in this year 2009, i can dish out better bakes for my 'ardent supporters'....hahahah.

On the first weekend of 2009, we had another family party; this time to celebrate my aunt stephanie's and my aunt wendy's mother-in-law's birthday. For our family, we don't have very elaborate parties, just simple family gathering over a meal and sitting around in the house. However, it's not an easy feat, cos this usual gathering means preparing for at least 30 people or more. I'm thankful that i've a family of great parents, siblings, aunties and uncles, grand-dad, cousins, etc.

For this celebration, I've did a cake using the same recipe as my xmas logcake, and dessert being blueberry cheese square which i previously prepared as an 8-inch cake. Since i did not put up the recipe for my xmas logcake earlier, i shall do it in this post. It was actually one of those recipes that got many thumbs-up for those who have tried it - Steamed Chocolate Cake. Verdict: Easy, delicious, and keeper.



Ingredients/ Method:

Steamed Chocolate Cake

185g butter
250g fine sugar
200ml evaporated milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g all-purpose flour (plain flour)
70g cocoa powder
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp vanilla essence

1. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla essences and butter in a saucepan.
2. Stir over low heat until sugar dissoclved and butter melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cooled mixture and stir till well mixed.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
5. Add egg mixture over the flour and stir till well mixed.
6. Heat up the steamer.
7. Pour mixture into lined 8' cake tin and put into steamer. Put a piece of aluminium foil loosely over the cake tin.
8. Steamed for 45mins to 1 hour over medium heat.
9. Cool cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.

Hazelnut Cream
1 cup whipping cream
4 tbsp nutella

1. Mix nutella into whipped cream.
2. Decorate cake as desired.



4 comments:

Bits said...

Hi, first time here and you baking is great!

Will link your feed to my blog!

quizzine said...

Hi Bits of Life 'n' Taste,
Thanks for your compliment, but frankly i think my baking is not that great *embarassed*
Tks for linking me up ;-)
Cheers,

Anonymous said...

I like cakes, cookies and breads, just too coward to try baking yet. So when I see 'steamed chocolate cake' my eyes were like 'blink blink' Funny, isn't it (blushed) ? Thanks for sharing recipe

quizzine said...

Hi chumpman,
U have to thank the originator for this terrific steam chocolate cake recipe - Anita Khaw. This cake is soft and very nice, and best eaten with chocolate cream ;-) Hope you like it too!