Maybe I've been carrying heavy load (i.e. little zak) for a prolonged period, my back suddenly gave way last Friday. Although not to the extent of 'paralysed', it was rather agonising. Imagining me walking like a penguin or a little hunch like a old lady, i had great difficulty getting up from my office chair. Yes, i did went to work that day as it only acted up when i left home. If i knew it earlier, i would have taken the day off! Anyway, I endured till end of the day, and straight after work, T brought me to a TCM at Bedok Reservoir road, which he had got me 1st in the queue. The TCM was very effective, I was able to walk and get up without much difficulty the next day. Thanks for that, if not i won't be able to prepare anything for my mum's prayer today. I would love to prepare more food stuff for her, but i was resting in bed for almost the whole of Saturday.
(Recipe adapted from Aunty Yochana with slight modifications)
220g rice flour
300g yam, cut into cubes
50g tapioca flour
2 tsp five-spice powder
850ml water (divide into 2 equal portion)
8 shallots - sliced thinly
30g chinese sausage, diced
50g dried scrimps, soaked and chopped coarsely
7 no. mushroom, soaked and diced
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp cooking oil (to be added into boiling water)
1.5 tsp salt
1 cube chicken stock
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1) Fry yam and 2 tbsp oil and toss with five-spice powder, set aside.
2) Fry shallots until fragrant with 2 tbsp oil. Dish up 3/4th of it into a bowl. Continue to fry remaining 1/4th of shallots till lightly brown and crispy. Dish up and set aside.3) Put back the 3/4th shallots into wok and add in dried scrimps and fry till dried scrimps start to 'jump', then add in chinese sausage, mushroom. Dish up and set aside.
4) Mix rice flour and tapioca flour with 425ml water. Add in seasoning and stir.
5) In a wok, boil 425ml water till boiling. Add in 1 tbsp oil. Off heat, pour in flour mixture and stir till mixture thickens. On heat again and cook over low heat till mixture thickens, pour in dried scrimps mixture and stir till well mixed.6) Pour into 8" oiled square tray and level the top.
7) Steam for 45 mins.
8) Leave to cook before slicing.
9) Sprinkle garnishes like shallots, spring onions on top.