Steamed Rice Cake (蒸米糕)
(Recipe adapted from "Make Your Own Pastry - 自己做糕点, yields 14 cups)
200g rice flour
200ml coconut milk
160ml boiling water
2 tsp double-acting baking powder
120g sugar (i reduced to 100g)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1. Sift rice flour and 1 tsp baking powder.
2. Combine rice flour and coconut milk and mix well.
3. Add boiling water, mix well and set aside to cool.
4. When cool, stir in 1 tsp baking powder and set aside for 1 hour.
5. Add sugar and vanilla essence in batter and mix well.
6. Line aluminium cups with paper and arrange on steamer tray. (I used small paper cups instead.)
7. Pour batter in cups until 90% full and leave to rise for 30 mins.
8. Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 15 mins.
Note: (1) The next time I make this, I would probably dilute the coconut milk with half portion water. (2) Add just a drop of your favourite colour to the batter (about 130ml).
I'm submitting my post to Aspiring Baker #12: Traditional Kueh hosted by Small Small Baker this month.
These are great pasar malam classic! Love their nostalgic look!
Yr steam cake looks wonderful...
I tried mine once, bt its abit hard...:(
My girl likes this very much but never tried making them though.
... and they tasted so soft & fluffy & nice!
Hi MiMi Bakery House,
Thanks for dropping by. I felt mine was a bit dense and not fluffy enough, thinking of modifying the recipe to yield better ones ;p
Haha ... I guess our to-do list are just so long at times ;-)
Post a Comment