Friday, January 15, 2010

Tiramisu Charlotte Cake


My laptop is giving me problems again!!! Urgggh! It happened after we got a free subscription for virus and the usual activity of checking mails, editing photos, write a post, etc became snail slow. I really couldn't stand the speed (pun intended) and the frustration that sometimes the laptop get hanged after i open a few application, and even shutting down the laptop is a pain!



The last straw came when chatting for 2 lines in msn with my friend, the laptop decided to stop responding for more than 2 times today. Out goes the virus scan - bye ;-) Hopefully i won't have other problems with the laptop or its speed.



All these technie problem made blogging a nag, which is why my tiramisu charlotte cake took a while to be here. I love how the cake looks in Happy Home Baking, and of course, mine couldn't hold a candle to hers. Although the cake taste good, it was almost 'melting' by the time we eat the cake. Luckily the recipient of my cake is very pleased with it, and thank me profusely. She's none other than my aunt wendy's mil. If i could put up the pictures taken during that day, you could see how happy she was on that day, because it's another of our big family gathering and celebration! The next time i attempt this delicious and pretty cake, i would probably add gelatine.


13 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi, your cake looks very nice! I like the way you arrange the 'sugar side' of the sponge fingers facing out, and your sponge fingers are cute...round and a little fat ;)
I didn't have problem with the filling melting away. Did you chill it over night? I made the same cake for my SIL's birthday, and I carried it to her place via public transport, and it didnt melt. The other possible cause could be the beating of the dairy/non-dairy cream, u need to beat till it is stiff (but for dairy cream do be careful not to over whip). I won't suggest you add gelatin, it is really not necessary.

Pei-Lin said...

Looks gorgeous! I've yet to try my hands on making charlottes! Gotta give it a try! Thanks to you & HHB for such inspiration!

Pei-Lin

P.S. I come from a big family if extended family members are taken into consideration. =)

quizzine said...

Hi Happyhomebaker,
Tks for your little note, but i tot i read to beat the cream to soft peak! My eyes must be playing trick on me ;-(
The 'sugar side' was not deliberate, and if i look carefully at your pic, i will sure follow yours ;-p The round and little fat fingers look exactly like the baker herself (ahem ... tat's me)
I'll sure try this out again with the leftover mascarpone cheese. Let you know the outcome.

Hi Pei Lin,
This charlotte is easy to put together, if you don't follow my mistakes ...hahaha

Cheers,

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi quizzine,
Your Tiramisu Charlotte Cake looks really pretty. It's so nicely and thoughtfully done up. I'm sure the recipent was really touched. :) Wish I had the courage to attempt it too! Hahaha...

Harry said...

Hi, I was looking for interesting cakes on the internet for my 21st birthday and I came across your blog. I'm really impressed by those fanciful cakes that you have baked and thought if I am fortunate enough get to purchase one from you for my party. My email address is coraler@hotmail.com

If you are willing to help me, do drop me an email. Hope to hear from you soon.

quizzine said...

Hi Jane,
I'm sure you would be able to do a better job than me!

Hi Harry,
Sorry, but I don't take order as my bakes are suitable for personal consumption only. Thanks for your interests and compliment, and wishing you a happy 21st birthday in advance.

Cheers,

Kitchen Corner said...

Very pretty tiramisu you had there! I must find a chance to make this followed your pretty decoration. Very good work!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Lovely cake. ;)I have not tried making a cake using ladies fingers, but it does give it a nice finish. ;) Great job!

quizzine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
quizzine said...

Hi Grace,
I would recommend you to try this out as the cake is tasty even though it was melting when we had them ;-)

Hi Honey Bee Sweets,
This is actually my 2nd time using sponge fingers to decorate a cake, and both recipes are copy-cat of Happy Homebaker!! I love how the sponge fingers turn a otherwise simple cake to a very pretty one ;-p

Cheers,

Quinn said...

Nice Charlotte! A little bit of gelatine will firm it up a bit, gotta agree for the sake of easy slicing!

quizzine said...

Hi Quinn,
Although tempted to add gelatine, i would try this charlotte again without using it as advised by HHB. Wld never failed from listening to the wiser ;-)

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi quizzine, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. You are right about the soft peak part. The reason why I state it as 'soft peak' is because if you were to use Dairy cream, it is safer not to over whip it...if I state stiff peak, those who have no prior experience with whisking dairy cream may over beat it. For non-dairy cream, there is no danger of over-whipping, that is why you can safely beat till stiff. I am sorry for causing any confusion, please forgive me ok? very very pai-seh ^_^"