Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blueberry Cheesecake




When i saw this beautiful blueberry cheesecake from Rei's All That Matters, i was almost mesmerised by the picture. I can't imagine how a simple fruit mixed with cream cheese and whipped cream can actually create such an attractive colour.

I wasn't too sure initially whether i can afford the time to make this cake as my ah gong was not feeling well and was hospitalised. Nevertheless, i did squeeze out some time and sacrifice some of my sleeping time to make this cake for my A colleague's mini birthday party last Thursday. Luckily my ah gong has since recovered and discharged, and hence today i've got the time to update my blog.


My piping skill sucks!


The cake is easy to put together, but the taste is not compromised. It tasted refreshing and delicious 'oishii'. Many thumbs-up from my colleagues (hopefully it is not polite compliments). I will attempt other flavours such as kiwi, strawberry, mango, durian, chocolate, etc.

Ingredients/ Method:





Base
120g Digestive biscuits, crushed finely
40g softened butter




Filling
100g cream cheese, bring to room temperature
100g yogurt (Paul's set yogurt)
60g fine sugar
200g blueberry puree**
200ml non-diary whipped cream
1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp gelatine powder + 3 tbsp boiling water (Mix and dissolve the powder. Keep warm)

Topping (optional)
4 tbsp blueberry pie filling
1.5 tbsp lemon juice

1) Mix crushed biscuits and butter evenly. Press the mixture into 7 inch loose base round tin. Chill in fridge for later use.
2) Whisk cream cheese, yogurt and sugar till smooth and no lumps. Add in gelatine using a hand whisk to incorporate well. Add in blueberry puree and whipped cream, mix well.
3) Pour mixture into prepared cake tin. Level and smooth the mixture using spatula. Chill for at least 3 hours.
4) Remove from tin and ready to serve. Decorate as desired.

**To make blueberry puree, use 220g blueberry pie filling and add 20g water, blend well and sieve.



This is what happened when a small cake is shared with 30 people

3 comments:

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi quizzine,
I'm glad your ah gong has been discharged. I hope he is better now.
Woah! You deprived your colleagues of your beautiful cake! How can? Next time made bigger one lah! Btw, how many inches is that?

Rei said...

Hi, glad that all is well for your grandpa. Just a word of caution; kiwi and gelatine does not work well together. Its enzymes will stop it from setting. I'm looking forward to your durian version! :D

quizzine said...

Hi pab and rei, thanks for your concerns, my ah gong shld be getting better especially now my aunties are 'monitoring' his diet and 'movements'.
The cake is 8', and that's the biggest cake tin i have in my house. I can't more cake tins as my hubby is already nagging about the mess i've created.
Tks rei for your advice, i'll keep away from kiwi. Keep you posted on my other flavours ;-)