Thursday, June 18, 2009

Blueberry cheese tarts



Blueberries are on promotion these days and 2 punnets cost less than $5. They are very versatile in baking and of course taste good on its own, so can't resist to buy when my baby and i were browsing at the supermarket after our breakfast last Saturday. At the back of my mind, I already knew i wanted to bake some blueberry cheese tarts, which had been in my to-do list for some time.

Ever since i shifted back to our home, Saturdays is an eat-out affair throughout the day - breakfast, lunch, dinner. There are occasional home-made bakes like cakes, breads, etc during teatime treats. I'm going to break the routine and have at least a home-cooked lunch on Saturdays. The only reason, of course, is for little zak. I started cooking a simple porridge last Saturday, and luckily little zak really 'give face' by finishing the whole bowl of porridge with carrot and meat balls.

Back to the tarts, i'd planned to do it during his nap time but before i could finish, little zak woke up and just then, it started to pour and flashes of lightning and came ear-cracking thunder. He started to cling onto me, and forbade me from going near the windows or sitting down on the sofa..... there goes my plan to make him tarts for his teatime treats, and he just ate some cream cheese crackers. Anyway, i only managed to finish baking the tart base and got to prepare the blueberry cheese filling the next day morning, for little zak's breakfast!
By the way, i got myself a customised turn-table through Lydia of My Kitchen, and I got a little excited to take photos with it ;-)


Ingredients/ Method:
Recipe adapted from Reese Kitchen

Pastry:
125g butter
50g fine granulated sugar
250g plain flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp COLD water

1. Sift flour and sugar into mixing bowl.
2. Rub butter into flour until resembles coarse crumbs (rubbing method).
3. Add in egg yolk, vanilla and water.
4. Shape dough into ball and refrigerate (20-30 minutes) before using** (before using, take out from fridge, wait for awhile until dough soften).
5. Place dough onto tart shells, and pooked the base with fork (this is to let the air comes out while baking).
6. Bake at 160-170'C for 10-15 minutes or until brown.

Filling:
250g cream cheese
20g butter
50g fine granulated sugar
1 egg

1. Beat cheese, butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add in egg and beat till well mix.
3. Pour mixture onto baked tart shells.
4. Spoon some blueberries or blueberry pie filling onto unbaked tarts, and use a toothpick to create swirls.
5. Bake at 170-180'C for 10 minutes.

9 comments:

Bits said...

WoW! This is really my favourite! I use to buy some after lunch at one of the bakery shop near my office! Looks exactly like yours!!! You are really a good baker!

Kitchen Corner said...

Wow.. beautiful baked cheese tarts! I love everythings with blueberries, this definately have got to be my favorite! yummm....

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi quizzine,
I've been wanting to bake this blueberries cheesetarts but just didn't find the time to bake it! You made it so nice. Wish I can have one! ;p

quizzine said...

Bits of Taste, thks for your compliment! But i'm really not near to being a good baker ;-P

Grace, now this add another thing that we have in common ;-)

Jane, actually i didn't get to eat the tart. Why don't you make it and i pop over to your place?

Lydia said...

Glad that you have received your turntable. Going to try out your tart recipe, they look so good.

quizzine said...

Lydia,
I must thank you for the turn-table, i really like it! U should try out this recipe, cos those who tried said they are delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi quizzine,

The tarts looks so tasty ... gonna baked some this weekends ... but I've got queries:-
1) what type of blueberry filling are you using and where can i get it.

2) Do i need to preheat the oven before baking

Thanks :)

Moon

Anonymous said...

Hi quizzine,

It's me again ... Moon ... ha ha ha

You mentioned "COLD water" does it means water from fridge ...

So sorry cos i'm a beginner :(

quizzine said...

Hi Moon,
Tks for your kind words. You can get the blueberry pie filling from Phoon Huat, and the brand is Red Man. Yes, the oven need to be pre-heated and cold water is from the fridge.
Hope this helps and let me know whether you like it ;-)
Cheers,