(Adapted and modified from Honey Bee Sweet's Dim Sum Fried Carrot Cake)
650g white carrot / turnip, peeled and shredded
5 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
3 tbsp dried shrimp, soaked and cut into smaller bits
7 dried mushroom, soaked in water till soft, then cut into small chunks
3 Chinese sausage, casing removed and cut into small chunks
3 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
155g rice flour
15g corn flour
15g wheat starch powder
340ml chicken stock (or use 340ml water + 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- In a large pot, add shredded carrot and water and start boiling mixture. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes till the vegetables are slightly cooked. Do not throw about the water, leave the whole mixture together and set aside till needed.
- In a saute pan, add vegetable oil at medium heat and stir fry the shallots till fragrant. Then add in Chinese sausage, mushrooms and dried shrimp. Cook mixture for a couple minutes then add the carrot water mixture in. Let it stew for about 8 to 10 minutes and then off the fire. Set aside till needed.
- In the meantime, prepare the steamer with boiling water and grease a 8" round steam pan lined with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice flour, corn flour and wheat starch. Pour in the chicken stock and mix well. Then pour the carrot mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. The mixture will be lumpy and thick.
- Pour it into the prepared steamer pan and let steam on medium heat for about 40 minutes till cooked.
- Remove from steamer and let cool completely before cutting into it.
a) Remember to increase the liquid and flour to have more kueh than ingredients!
b) More shallots to be added as requested by T.
c) I did not use parchment paper, instead I oiled the pan so that it will not stick.