Yellow Butter Cake
(Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking, but size reduced to 6" round cake)
150g cake flour, sifted
1 3/4tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I omit)
85g unsalted butter, room temperature (I used salted butter)
132.5g granulated white sugar (I reduced to 120g)
55g egg yolks, about 3 large egg yolk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl, sift or whisk flour with baking powder and salt.
- Using electric mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy (about 1 -2 mins).
- Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3-5 mins).
- Add egg yolks in 2 batches, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as need.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add 1/3 flour to batter, followed by 1/2 milk. Then 1/3 flour, remaining milk, and lastly remaining flour. Mix well with each addition.
- Transfer batter to lined cake pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180deg C for 35 - 40 mins, or until skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto a greased rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
(Recipe adapted from Kitchen Corner, quantity halved for 6" round cake)
37.5g cocoa powder
150ml evaporated milk (I used whipping cream)
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 egg yolks
45g corn flour
3/4 tsp instant coffee
- Mix everything in a double boiler except butter and keep on stirring with a hand whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Lastly add in the butter until a smooth and spreadable consistency.