I'm also submitting this to Little Thumbs Up April: Orange hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.
Orange Cheddar Cheese Cupcake
(makes 8 cupcakes)
3 slices of Cheddar Cheese
50ml fresh orange juice
50g unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites (preferably cold, place in fridge after separating)
50g caster sugar
50g cake flour
zest from 2 oranges
- In a heatproof saucepan, place the butter, orange juice and tear up the cheddar chesee slices in.
- Place saucepan over medium low heat and stir gently until all is melted and mixed in together. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool before use.
- Ladle big spoonful of the milk mixture into the egg yolks. Mix well and then add in the rest of the milk mixture in. Add in orange zest and stir well.
- Sift in the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture and make sure no lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 155C with a water bath.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the egg whites in and beat till foamy. Add in the sugar gradually and beat till stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg whites portion into the cheese mixture. And repeat with the other 2 portions and careful not to deflate it.
- Pour the batter into the baking case.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or till the tester comes out clean.