Wednesday, August 31, 2011

AB #10 - Blueberry Cheese Tart

I'm beating the time to participate in the Aspiring Bakers #10 - Easy as Pie hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink. You see, I've only finally decided to bake the blueberry cheese tarts at the 11th hour (i.e 10.20pm to be exact!)Although I did prepare the blueberry fillings on Tuesday which is a PH, I didn't think I have the time to do any baking during the week.

Whilst writing this post, the tarts are still baking in the oven. I will be snapping some pictures later, do a quick edit and upload it here.




The blueberry cheese tart is the 2nd time I'm baking it (the last was June 2009). I didn't realise how time flies and without this blog to journal my baking journey, I would have thought that I did it just last year! That's a pretty long time for me to re-bake such a wonderful recipe.

In my haste of baking, I accidentally dropped and broke my beloved & sentimental mixer (heart-break as well). Told T about it and that I would have to throw it away, but he said that "something with sentimental value is for keep-sake though it can't be used anymore". Very true. I'm contemplating now.



Blueberry Cheese Tarts


(makes 36 mini tartlets)


Ingredients/ Method:


Pastry:
125g butter
50g fine granulated sugar
250g plain flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp COLD water

1. Sift flour and sugar into mixing bowl.
2. Rub butter into flour until resembles coarse crumbs (rubbing method).
3. Add in egg yolk, vanilla and water.
4. Shape dough into ball and refrigerate (20-30 minutes) before using** (before using, take out from fridge, wait for awhile until dough soften).
5. Place dough onto tart shells, and pooked the base with fork (this is to let the air comes out while baking).
6. Bake at 160-170'C for 10-15 minutes or until brown.

Blueberry Filling:
125gm fresh blueberries
1 tsp sugar

1. Bring blueberries and 1 teaspoon sugar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook, mashing berries with spoon several times and stirring frequently, until berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup, about 6 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

Cream Cheese Filling:
250g cream cheese
20g butter
50g fine granulated sugar
1 egg

1. Beat cheese, butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add in egg and beat till well mix.
3. Pour mixture onto baked tart shells.
4. Spoon some blueberries or blueberry pie filling onto unbaked tarts, and use a toothpick to create swirls.
5. Bake at 170-180'C for 10 minutes.


3 comments:

Zoe said...

So sad that you broke your sentimental mixer... T is so sweet with his consolation.

Love the mini swirl on every one of these miniature blueberry cheese tarts. Very nice.

Jean said...

hi :) i was wondering how long did it take you to make the Cheese Tarts altogether?
Because i need to do it for a food class and need to be prepared and cooked in 75 minutes. Is it possible?

thanks!

quizzine said...

Hi Jean,
I'm not too sure exactly how long it took me, but it should be around 1.5hrs, excluding preparing the blueberry jam. You can buy canned blueberry filling to save some time in preparation. All the best in your food class!