Instead of the usual chocolate cake base, I found another similarly good one which was used by Jane in her salted caramel cake.
(recipe adapted from Passionate About Baking, originally from Martha Stewart)
375g plain flour
380g castor sugar
129g unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
4 large eggs
368g buttermilk (or 366g whole milk with 1 1/2tsp lemon juice, mix well and let it sit for 5 mins)
90g warm water
137g vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed, until smooth. Takes about 3 mins.
- Pour batter equally into two 9" lined round cake pans.
- Bake on pre-heated oven 180 deg C for about 35-40 mins, or until skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 mins.
- Remove cake from pans onto wire rack, and let cool completely.
Post a Comment